Maria "Conchis" Silva has been on leave since last July. She is (was) the Manager of DISD's Adult Basic Education Department ("ABE").
Dallas.Org has obtained (posted below) OPR's investigative report into the department and Silva.
Among other things, according to OPR's report, Silva:
- used vulgar and inappropriate language in the workplace; and
- created a hostile work environment in the ABE department; and
- misappropriated ABE staff, equipment and supplies for personal purposes; and
- violated the Americans with Disabilities Act; and
- disclosed confidential medical information to unauthorized personnel; and
- spent over $30,000 in federal grant funds for the writing of "Lesson Plans" when the state provided approved curriculum and lesson plans; and
- used executive administrative assistants to work overtime for the ABE Department which caused the employees to be paid at an excessive rate; and
- attempted to interfere and obstruct the DISD Internal Audit and Grants Compliance Officer during official examinations; and
- tried to offer ABE positions to an auditor and grants compliance officer while they were performing their official duties; and
- attended a conference in New York City in 2008 and approved two part-time employees to also attend (expense reports attached)
Several other allegations were investigated by OPR and substantiated.
We are still looking into events surrounding Silva and the Adult Basic Education program. There will, no doubt, be more to this story as information surfaces.
STRONG LANGUAGE WARNING - Due to the nature of the investigation, this report contains obscenities.